Dispute A Transaction
When using your Expensify Visa® Commercial Card, you may come across transaction errors, which can include things like:
- Unrecognized, unauthorized, or fraudulent charges.
- Transactions of an incorrect amount.
- Duplicate charges for a single transaction.
- Missing a promised merchant refund.
You’ll find all the relevant information on handling these below.
How to Navigate the Dispute Process
Disputing a Transaction
If you spot an Expensify Card transaction error, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org. After that, we’ll ask a few questions to better understand the situation. If the transaction has already settled in your account (no longer pending), we can file a dispute with our card processor on your behalf.
If you suspect fraud on your Expensify Card, don’t hesitate to cancel it by heading to Settings > Account > Credit Card Import > Request A New Card. Better safe than sorry!
Lastly, if you haven’t enabled Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) yet, please do so ASAP to add an additional layer of security to your account.
Types of Disputes
There are two main dispute types:
- Unauthorized charges/fraud disputes, which include:
- Charges made with your card after it was lost or stolen.
- Unauthorized charges while your card is still in your possession (indicating compromised card information).
- Continued charges for a canceled recurring subscription.
- Service disputes, which include:
- Received damaged or defective merchandise.
- Charged for merchandise but never received it.
- Double-charged for a purchase made with another method (e.g., cash).
- Made a return but didn’t receive a timely refund.
- Multiple charges for a single transaction.
- Charges settled for an incorrect amount.
You don’t need to categorize your dispute; we’ll handle that. However, this may help you assess if a situation warrants a dispute. In most cases, the initial step for resolving a dispute should be contacting the merchant, as they can often address the issue promptly.
Simplifying the Dispute Process
To ensure the dispute process goes smoothly, please:
- Provide detailed information about the disputed charge, including why you’re disputing it, what occurred, and any steps you’ve taken to address the issue.
- If you recognize the merchant but not the charge, and you’ve transacted with them before, contact the merchant directly, as it may be a non-fraudulent error.
- Include supporting documentation like receipts or cancellation confirmations when submitting your dispute to enhance the likelihood of a favorable resolution (not required but highly recommended).
How am I protected from fraud using the Expensify Card?
Real-time push notifications alert you of every card charge upfront, helping identify potential issues immediately. Expensify also leverages sophisticated algorithms to detect and/or block unusual card activity.
Expensify cardholders can dispute suspicious transactions directly via Concierge, either within the Expensify app or by emailing email@example.com. Cardholders can also cancel their Expensify Card anytime within our platform.
How long does the dispute process take?
The dispute process generally takes up to 90 days. It depends on the type of dispute.
Can I cancel a dispute?
Contact Concierge if you’ve filed a dispute and want to cancel it. You might do this if you recognize a previously reported unauthorized charge or if the merchant has already resolved the issue.