Dispute A Transaction
When using your Expensify Card, you may come across transaction errors, which can include things like:
- Unrecognized, unauthorized, or fraudulent charges.
- Transactions of an incorrect amount.
- Duplicate charges for a single transaction.
- Missing a promised merchant refund.
You’ll find all the relevant information on handling these below.
How to Navigate the Dispute Process
Disputing a Transaction
If you spot an Expensify Card transaction error, please contact us immediately at email@example.com. After that, we’ll ask a few questions to better understand the situation. If the transaction has already settled in your account (no longer pending), we can file a dispute with our card processor on your behalf.
If you suspect fraud on your Expensify Card, don’t hesitate to cancel it by heading to Settings > Account > Credit Card Import > Request A New Card. Better safe than sorry!
Lastly, if you haven’t enabled Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) yet, please do so ASAP to add an additional layer of security to your account.
Types of Disputes
There are two main dispute types:
- Unauthorized charges/fraud disputes, which include:
- Charges made with your card after it was lost or stolen.
- Unauthorized charges while your card is still in your possession (indicating compromised card information).
- Continued charges for a canceled recurring subscription.
- Service disputes, which include:
- Received damaged or defective merchandise.
- Charged for merchandise but never received it.
- Double-charged for a purchase made with another method (e.g., cash).
- Made a return but didn’t receive a timely refund.
- Multiple charges for a single transaction.
- Charges settled for an incorrect amount.
You don’t need to categorize your dispute; we’ll handle that. However, this may help you assess if a situation warrants a dispute. In most cases, the initial step for resolving a dispute should be contacting the merchant, as they can often address the issue promptly.
Simplifying the Dispute Process
To ensure the dispute process goes smoothly, please:
- Provide detailed information about the disputed charge, including why you’re disputing it, what occurred, and any steps you’ve taken to address the issue.
- If you recognize the merchant but not the charge, and you’ve transacted with them before, contact the merchant directly, as it may be a non-fraudulent error.
- Include supporting documentation like receipts or cancellation confirmations when submitting your dispute to enhance the likelihood of a favorable resolution.
How am I protected from fraud using the Expensify Card?
Real-time push notifications alert you of every card charge upfront, helping identify potential issues immediately. Expensify also leverages sophisticated algorithms to detect and/or block unusual card activity.
Expensify cardholders can dispute suspicious transactions directly via Concierge, either within the Expensify app or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Cardholders can also cancel their Expensify Card anytime within our platform.
How long does the dispute process take?
The dispute process can take a few days to a few months. It depends on the type of dispute.
Can I cancel a dispute?
Contact Concierge if you’ve filed a dispute and want to cancel it. You might do this if you recognize a previously reported unauthorized charge or if the merchant has already resolved the issue.