If your organization is recognized by the IRS or other local tax authorities as tax-exempt, that means you don’t need to pay any tax on your Expensify monthly bill. Please follow these instructions to request tax-exempt status.
How to request tax-exempt status in Expensify
- Go to Settings > Account > Payments.
- Click on the option that says Request Tax-Exempt Status.
- After you’ve requested tax-exempt status, Concierge (our support service) will start a conversation with you. They will ask you to upload a PDF of your tax-exempt documentation. This document should include your VAT number (or “RUT” in Chile). You can use one of the following documents: 501(c), ST-119, or a foreign tax-exempt declaration.
- Our team will review your document and let you know if we need any more information.
- Once everything is verified, we’ll update your account accordingly.
Once your account is marked as tax-exempt, the corresponding state tax will no longer be applied to future billing.
If you need to remove your tax-exempt status, let your Account Manager know or contact Concierge.
What happens to my past Expensify bills that incorrectly had tax added to them?
Expensify can provide a refund for the tax you were charged on your previous bills. Please let your Account Manager know or contact Concierge if this is the case.