Report Violations and Notes
Sometimes your report will have violations and you still need to submit it. It’s ok - you can still submit a report with violations! Just let your manager know in the “Memo” field why you are submitting the report with violations. Violations that are commonly bypassed are receipt requirements for mileage expenses, or expenses that go over a certain amount. If you or any policy admin wishes to change the policy rules so that some expenses do not generate violations, you can do so by going to Admin > Policies and editing the policy.
Expenses which clearly violate expense policy rules will be highlighted in red on the report, and while you can still submit your expense report with violations (on the Team plan), it’s up to your approver how to handle these violations.
- Expense over X days old - This expense was incurred at a time past what the active policy allows. To fix this error, either remove the expense from your report or ask for an exemption from the person who approves your reports.
- Missing category - This expense hasn’t been categorized. Fix this error by clicking on the expense and choosing a category from the drop down menu.
- Tag out of policy - The policy you are using to create the report doesn’t have that tag set in it. Either change the policy to the correct one or click on the expense to choose a tag from the policy in use.
- Expense date can not be in the future - The expense was incurred at a date ahead of today. You can edit the expense to change the date to show correctly.
- Expense over $X - This expense is more than what is allowed by the active policy. You can either remove the expense from the report or ask for an exemption from your manager.
- Receipt required for expenses over $X - This policy requires receipts to be attached to expenses over a certain amount. Attach a receipt by clicking the button on expenses missing receipts.
- Category out of policy - The policy you are using to create the report doesn’t have that category set in it. Either change the policy to the correct one or click on the expense to choose a category from the policy in use.
- Missing tag - This expense hasn’t been tagged. Fix this error by clicking on the expense and choosing a tag from the drop down menu.
Notes show additional information about expenses. They give insight in to the type of expense and whether it has been edited from the original value.
- Non-reimbursable expense - This expense was incurred on a corporate card paid off by the company or it’s been marked by the submitter as an expense that does not need to be paid back to them.
- This is an unverified expense - (aka “cash” or “manually entered” expense) We are unable to verify the authenticity of this purchase because it was not imported directly from a banking website. (learn more)
- This expense has been modified from its original amount - The amount of the expense was changed to adjust for special circumstances. You can check the original value by clicking on the expense to see it in detail.
- Not shared policy - The report does not have any expense rules applied to it. Choose the expense policy you want to apply from the drop down along the top of the screen to see any violations.