Report Violations and Notes
Sometimes your report will have violations or notes, and you still need to submit it. These notifications are important since they will be included in “review mode” for the approver to make clear approve or reject decisions.
If you or any policy admin wishes to change the policy rules so that some expenses do not generate violations, you can do so by going to Admin > Policies and editing the policy settings. If you or any policy admin wishes to strictly enforce policy rules so reports with errors cannot be submitted, you can enable Domain Control and setup strict enforcements.
Violations: Violations are items that have gone directly against the policy that has been set by the admins in Expensify. These are displayed in red.
Notes: The goal of a note is to draw attention to specific expenses, but there may be no specific call to action. Think of these as a heads up to be sure the expense is filed correctly. These are also displayed in yellow since they could potentially need attention.
Violation Signals are red exclamation marks or red highlighting. These are errors that need to be addressed before a report is submitted.
- Receipt required for expenses over $X - This policy requires receipts to be attached to expenses over a certain amount. Attach a receipt by clicking the attach receipt button on expenses missing receipts.
- Category out of policy - The policy you are using to create the report doesn’t have that category set in it. Either change the policy to the correct one or click on the expense to choose a category from the policy in use.
- Missing category - This expense hasn’t been categorized. Fix this error by clicking on the expense and choosing a category from the drop down menu.
- Tag out of policy - The policy you are using to create the report doesn’t have that tag set in it. Either change the policy to the correct one or click on the expense to choose a tag from the policy in use.
- Missing tag - This expense hasn’t been tagged. Fix this error by clicking on the expense and choosing a tag from the drop down menu.
- Expense date can not be in the future - The expense was incurred at a date ahead of today. You can edit the expense to change the date to show correctly.
- Expense Over 90 days old - This expense is outside of the date range of the policy settings. You can either remove the expense from the report or ask for an exemption from your manager.
- Expense over $X - This expense is more than what is allowed by the active policy. You can either remove the expense from the report or ask for an exemption from your manager.
- Missing Comment - This expense is missing a required comment. You can simply edit the expense and add a comment to remove this violation.
Some expenses create a yellow highlight and a yellow exclamation mark. These types of highlights are informational, but the expense should still be double checked for accuracy.
Other notes have no highlighting but will still have a yellow exclamation mark to catch your eye. This is just a heads up so you can easily verify that the expense is correct.
Notes show additional information about expenses. They give insight into the type of expense and whether it has been edited from the original value.
- Non-reimbursable expense - This expense was incurred on a corporate card paid off by the company or it’s been marked by the submitter as an expense that does not need to be paid back to them.
- Billable expense - This expense is billable to a client/project/vendor.
- This is a manually entered expense / Receipt not SmartScanned - (aka “cash” or “manually entered” expense) We are unable to verify the authenticity of this purchase because it was not imported directly from a banking website. (learn more)
- This expense has been modified from its original amount - The amount of the expense was manually changed to adjust for special circumstances. You can check the original value by clicking on the expense to see it in detail.
- Not shared policy - The report does not have any expense rule policy applied to it. Choose the expense policy you want to apply from the drop down along the top of the screen to see any policy violations.