Tracking Tax on Expense Line Items
Our tax tracking feature allows you to apply a tax rate and tax amount to each expense. This feature is currently available on Team and Corporate policies.
Setting up Tax Tracking
Tax tracking can be enabled in the policy settings (Admin > [Policy Name] > Tax)
You can then set the taxes you would like to make available to users and set a default tax for the policy (this will automatically apply to all new expenses).
Applying simple tax to Expenses
- Once tax tracking has been enabled in the policy, the default tax for the policy will automatically be added to all expenses.
- If the tax on your receipt is different to the default tax, select the appropriate tax from the tax drop down on the expense editor (shown below left) or the mobile app (shown below right).
- The tax amount will automatically be calculated. If the tax amount on your receipt is different to the calculated amount, manually type in the correct tax amount.
- The total amount of tax on all expenses in a report will be displayed in the upper right-hand side of the report.
- If different taxes apply to different items on your receipt then use the Split Expense function and apply the correct tax to each part.
- If you don't know the tax inclusive total amount that the tax amount on a receipt applies to, use the following formula to calculate this: (Tax amount x (100 / Tax rate)) + Tax amount.
- Tax information can also be included in the spreadsheet export of your expense reports. Learn more about customised spreadsheet exports on our reports export page.