Integrate directly with QuickBooks Online
Companies with Team or Corporate policies can integrate Expensify with QuickBooks Online. The integration enables seamless import of expense accounts and other information into Expensify and export of expense reports to QuickBooks.
Setup Employees in QuickBooks Online
Email addresses are used to map the report submitter in Expensify with the relevant employee in QuickBooks Online so all employees must be setup as either Vendors or Employees. The submitter’s email must also be included in the record.
The type of submitter record used will affect the export type available:
|Vendor Bills (recommended)||Y||N|
|Journal Entries||Y||Y (if exporting against a liability account)|
|Credit / Debit Card||N/A||N/A|
Enable the Automatically Create Vendor option in the connection configuration to automatically create Vendor records upon export for submitters that don't already exist In QuickBooks Online.
If setting up submitters as Employees, you will need to activate QuickBooks Online Payroll to view the Employee Profile tab where employee email addresses needs to be entered.
Connect Expensify and QuickBooks Online
Navigate to Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections > QuickBooks Online
Select the Connect to QuickBooks Online radio button and click Connect to QuickBooks:
Enter your QuickBooks Online Administrator’s login information and choose the QuickBooks Online Company File you want to connect to Expensify (you can connect one Company File per policy):
Configure the connection
After connecting Expensify and QuickBooks Online, the next step is to configure how the information is shared between the two systems.
QuickBooks Online expense accounts will be automatically imported into Expensify as Categories
- After connecting, go to Admin > [Policy Name] > Categories to see the accounts imported from QuickBooks Online.
- Use the enable/disable button to choose which Categories to make available to your employees, and set Category specific rules via the blue settings cog.
- If necessary, edit the names of imported Categories to make expense coding easier for your employees.
- If you use Items in QuickBooks Online then you can also import them into Expensify as Categories.
If you use Classes and/or Customers/Jobs in QuickBooks Online then you can import them into Expensify as Tags or Report Fields:
- Tags lets you apply a Class and/or Customer/Job to each expense
- Report Fields lets you apply a Class and/or Customer/Job to all expenses on a report.
If you use Locations in QuickBooks Online then you can import them into Expensify as a Report Field that applies to to all expenses on a report.
If you use Items in QuickBooks Online then you can import Items defined with Purchasing Information (with or without Sales Information) into Expensify as Categories.
Our tax tracking feature allows you to apply a tax rate and tax amount to each expense
- Enable Tax tracking in the connection configuration and the purchasing taxes setup in QuickBooks Online will automatically be imported into Expensify as Taxes
- After connecting, go to Admin > [Policy Name] > Tax to see the taxes imported from QuickBooks Online
- Use the enable/disable button to choose which taxes to make available to your employees
- Select a default tax to apply to the policy (this will automatically apply to all new expenses)
Please note that tax cannot currently be exported to Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online.
For more details on Tax tracking see our help page.
Preferred Exporter - Any policy admin can export to QuickBooks Online, but only the preferred exporter will see reports that are ready for export in their Inbox.
Date - Choose either the report's submitted date, the report's exported date, or the date of the last expense on the report when exporting reports to QuickBooks Online.
Reimbursable expenses export to QuickBooks Online as:
- Vendor Bill (recommended) a single itemized vendor bill for each Expensify report. If this period is closed, we will post the vendor bill to the first day of the next open period. If you export as Vendor Bills, you can also choose to Sync reimbursed reports (set on the Advanced tab).
- Check a single itemized check for each Expensify report. You can choose to mark a check to be printed later in QuickBooks Online.
- Journal Entry a single itemized journal entry for each Expensify report.
Non-reimbursable expenses (such as company card transactions) export to QuickBooks Online as:
- Credit Card each expense will export as a single credit card transaction with the posting date that appears on your card statement.
- Debit Card each expense will export as a single bank transaction with the posting date that appears on your bank statement.
- Vendor Bill a single itemized vendor bill for each Expensify report. If this period is closed, we will post the vendor bill to the first day of the next open period. If you export non-reimbursable expenses as Vendor Bills, you can choose to apply a Default vendor to the bill.
If you have multiple Corporate Cards, you can assign each card to its corresponding account in QuickBooks Online via the Company Cards page under Domain Control.
Expensify pro-tip: If you want the payee field for Credit Card expenses in QuickBooks Online to show the merchant name, a matching Vendor must exists in QBO. Expensify looks for an exact match when exporting and if it can’t, the payee gets mapped to a Credit Card Misc. Vendor that we create.
Expenses can be marked as billable in Expensify which will export to QuickBooks Online with the the billable flag. To fully take advantage of this functionality, any expense marked as billable must have a Customer/Job associated with it.
Auto Sync will initiate a daily sync, keeping your Expensify information current and reducing errors caused by out-of-date QuickBooks Online data, as well as saving you time with syncing.
Newly imported categories should be enabled/disabled controls the status of new categories. Based on this control, new categories imported from QBO to Expensify with be either enabled or disabled by default.
Invite Employees automatically invites all Employees set up in QuickBooks Online to the connected Expensify policy (if they are not already a member). If you choose not to use this option, you can manually invite people in Expensify or import using a CSV.
Automatically Create Vendors creates a new Vendor entry for employees using their email if they do not already have an entry in QuickBooks Online.
Sync reimbursed reports will mark the Vendor Bill as paid in QuickBooks Online if you reimburse a report via ACH direct deposit in Expensify. If you reimburse outside of Expensify, then marking the Vendor Bill as paid in QBO will automatically mark the report as reimbursed in Expensify.
Export from Expensify to QuickBooks Online
Navigate to the Reports page, select the reports you wish to export and click Export to > QuickBooks Online:
Exported reports will be marked in Expensify with a small QuickBooks Online icon:
A link to the expense in QuickBooks Online will be posted as a report comment on the bottom of the report:
A link to the report in Expensify will be added to the memo field in QuickBooks Online.
Alternatively, click the search icon at the top of QuickBooks Online, then click 'Advanced Search'. Search for the Report Name in the 'Memo' search option or the Report ID in the 'Reference No.' search option.