Connect with QuickBooks Desktop in a few Easy Steps
- Currently, Intuit only supports a QWC (QuickBooks Web Connector) file for Windows operating systems.
- When connecting to QuickBooks, please make sure you are logged in as the “master admin”.
- Whenever running into problems with the QuickBooks connection, the first troubleshooting step is always to try deleting and re-adding the connection in Expensify.
- When connecting to a QuickBooks file that is hosted on a remote server or virtual server, make sure to save the QWC file to the same server folder in which QuickBooks and the company file are installed.
Step 1: Connect your QuickBooks Policy to Your Expense Policy
Visit the Connections tab in the policy editor. Don’t have an expense policy? Create a new one.
Step 2: Download the QuickBooks Web Connector File
Click the link to download and open the QWC file.
Step 3: Open the QWC File
Double-click on the QWC file to open it and click "Ok" to proceed.
Step 4: Grant Access to Expensify
When the Access window opens, choose "Always, even when QuickBooks is not running".
Step 5: Select Connection and Enter Password
Click the checkbox next to "Expensify", and enter your Expensify password in the password field.
Step 6: Update the Selected Connection
With your Expensify password entered, click "Update Selected" at the top of the window.
Step 7: Complete the Connection Progress
As the connection updates, the progress bars will advance toward 100%. Once Total Progress is complete, exit the Web Connector.
The Connections section of your expense policy will now display your QuickBooks company.
Updating the Connection
Any time a change is made to the chart of accounts, customers/jobs, or classes in QuickBooks, you should update the connection so that the changes are reflected in your expense policy. To do this:
- Go to Admin > Policies and choose your policy.
- Go to the Connections section of the policy.
- Click the “Sync” button beneath your QuickBooks company.
- Open the QuickBooks Web connector, select Expensify, and click “Update Selected”.
- The connection has now been updated. Go to the Categories section of the policy to enable any newly imported expense accounts. Go to the Tags section of the policy to enable any newly imported customers/jobs or classes.
Now that you have established your QuickBooks connection, learn how to to export reports from Expensify to QuickBooks.