Integrate Directly with NetSuite
The integration with NetSuite is 2-way. Accounts, departments, locations, classifications, and people can all be imported from NetSuite. The expense data in Expensify can then be exported to NetSuite as expense reports and journal entries.
- You must have a Corporate policy to integrate with NetSuite.
- Please create a new policy dedicated to the NetSuite connection, as syncing categories and report fields from NetSuite will delete and replace the categories and report fields for a policy!
- You will need to have your employees listed in NetSuite along with their email address. This does not mean that your employees need to have NetSuite access.
- If you choose to sync people, any employee with an email address in NetSuite will be imported into your policy.
- Only those accounts that have expense categories associated with them in NetSuite will be pulled into Expensify as categories. You can associate expense categories with any account type in NetSuite.
- If people sync is used, Expensify will set the “expense approver” in NetSuite as the approver in Expensify. If an expense approver doesn’t exist in NetSuite then the supervisor will be used.
Before creating the NetSuite-Expensify connection there are a few settings you will need to make sure are enabled within NetSuite.
Step 1: Enable SuiteSignOn and Web Services
To do this, log into NetSuite as an administrator and click through to Setup > Company > Enable Features > SuiteCloud tab. Make sure you have SuiteSignOn and Web Services enabled.
Step 2: Install Expensify Bundle
To do this, log into NetSuite as an administrator, click through to Customization > SuiteBundler > Search & Install Bundles, and search for “Expensify”. Then, install the Expensify bundle.
Step 3: Ensure all expense capture fields are selected
In your Netsuite account, please visit Customization > Forms > Transaction Forms.
From there, look for "Standard Expense Report" and "Standard Journal Entry"
Are you seeing any other custom expense report or journal entry types, an example being "<Company> Custom Expense Report"? If so, it's possible that it is attempting to export into one of these expense report templates. Follow these next steps for both once inside each expense report and journal entry template.
Click Customize or Edit on the far left column on the page next to the expense report template or journal entry template to change template settings.
Step 3A: Ensure Journal Entry Templates are Configured Properly
- Select the Screen Fields tab, and Main. Please verify that the 'Created From' label exists, and that the circled settings match.
- Next, select the subtab Lines, scroll to the bottom and verify that the 'Show' column for 'Receipt URL' is checked.
- Go back to Customization > Forms > Transaction Forms and ensure that all other "Journal Entry" templates have this configured as well.
Step 3B: Ensure Expense Report Templates are Configured Properly
- Please follow the same instructions for Expense Report templates. You need to verify that
- Created From has "Show" checked and is of Display Type "Normal" under Screen Fields > Main
- Receipt URL field has "Show" checked under Screen Fields > Expenses
- Go back to Customization > Forms > Transaction Forms and ensure that all "Expense Report" templates have this configured as well.
Step 4: Add Expense Categories
- Expensify imports NetSuite Expense Categories, which you can find on NetSuite under Setup > Accounting > Expense Categories
- Expense categories are essentially aliases to entries under your main Chart of Accounts. When Expensify reports are exported to NetSuite, expense reports use the expense categories, while journal entries created by the export use the aliased G/L account from the Chart of Accounts.
- If you cannot find Expense Categories from the setup menu, please contact your NetSuite representative to ensure that you have the expense report module enabled.
Connect Expensify and NetSuite
In order to connect to NetSuite you will need to have a Corporate expense policy. Once you have done this, navigate to the Connections section of the policy settings (Admin > [Policy Name] > Connections) and click “connect to NetSuite”. You must connect using a NetSuite account with an administrator role.
You can choose whether you want to connect to your production or sandbox environment. You will need to enter the NetSuite Company ID associated with the environment you are choosing to connect with. You can find the Company ID in NetSuite by going to Setup > Integration > Web Services Preferences.
You will then be asked to log into NetSuite using your administrator credentials, and select the appropriate role. The administrator credentials are only required to establish the initial connection, per NetSuite's documentation. After you log in, you'll be presented with an option to select the appropriate role for subsequent operations related to the Expensify integration. Please select the "Expensify Integrations" role, or if you prefer to create your own custom role, ensure that role has the following permissions:
- “View” permissions for: Classes, Departments, Locations, Subsidiaries, Expense Categories, Currency, Accounts, Employees under “Lists”.
- “Full” permissions for: Expense Report, Make Journal Entry under “Transactions”.
- “Full” permissions for: Web Services under “Setup”.
You will then be redirected to the NetSuite dashboard. You will want to click Sign Out from here to be taken back to Expensify.
You will now notice that the NetSuite connection has been created. Click Configure to choose what information is imported from NetSuite and how information will be exported out of Expensify.
Exporting Reports to NetSuite
Reports are not automatically sent to NetSuite. You can trigger an export to NetSuite by navigating to the Reports page, checking the boxes for the reports you want to export and clicking Export To > NetSuite.
Once the reports have been exported, the NetSuite icon will show in the Exported column in the Reports table.
- "The currency 'USD' does not exist on NetSuite"
- Please re-sync your connection from Admin > *Your Policy* > Connections > NetSuite > Sync Now