Approve and Reimburse Reports
Is there anything better than not having to guess what's wrong with a report? Meet Guided Review. This is your one stop shop for report information. You'll be guided through all report violations and warnings and given the option to Reject, Edit, or skip over all items that need review.
Guided Review helps approvers quickly identify reports that need more attention so they can pass over reports that can be quickly approved. Both Submitters and Approvers have actionable notifications for the following: violations, warnings, and notices. These notifications are important since they will be included in “review mode” for the approver to make clear approve or reject decisions.
Step One: Simply click Begin Review and the system will begin to walk you through the entire report.
Step Two: Choose to Reject, Edit, or skip over an item needing review. If you wish to stop the process at any time, click the X in the progress bar.
- Reject: This will remove the expense from the report and send it back to the submitter. An email will be sent to the submitter explaining this expense has been rejected.
- Edit: This will allow you to edit the expense so you can fix any incorrect data.
- Next: This will allow you to skip over the current item and move forward to review the rest of the report.
Step Three: Click the Finish button if you are done reviewing, or reject/edit the last item to finish the review process.
All reports submitted to you will be kept on your reports page. This way you’re always one click from all of your expenses in case you need to find something for accounting or tax reasons.
- Open the submitted report from the link in your email or directly from your Reports page.
- Look over the report to make sure it’s correct. Any errors or suspected problems will be clearly shown as policy violations and report notes at the bottom of the list of expenses. You can correct any errors by editing the expense details; in most cases you can edit all the expense's details, and detach a receipt (at this point, you can't attach a new receipt to an expense).
- When everything checks out, approve the report. If there is someone else that has to also approve the report before it’s final, approve and forward it to them, or if you are the person who has the last say on all expenses mark the report with final approve. Learn more about setting up an approval workflow.
- After the report is given final approval, it can be reimbursed through direct deposit (ACH) or PayPal and exported to a variety of file formats.
Why waste time on $4 Starbucks reports? Auto-Approval is a great way to save managers time approving expense reports that our system has deemed within your policy. With Auto-Approval, all reports without policy violations will be final approved without requiring manual approval by the manager.
A couple of great uses are for employees that submit a lot of small dollar expense reports (think lots of coffees or lunches) or for company card charges, which have already been incurred and just need to be reported back to the accounting system.
As a policy admin, you can verify that your company has Auto Approval enabled on your policy by going to Admin > [Policy Name] > People and make sure the Auto-Approval toggle is enabled.
In fact, we have loads of automations built into Expensify. Check out our Perfect Setup guide.
Approved reports can be reimbursed directly from within Expensify by clicking the reimburse button along the top of the report. Both the person receiving and the person sending the money will need to set up their reimbursement accounts to receive the funds. For example, to reimburse via direct deposit (ACH), the report submitter will need to have set up a direct deposit account, and the account reimbursing the report will need to have set up a withdrawal account.
Note: If a company administrator attempts to reimburse a user that does not have a deposit account on file, the user is sent an email notification and the report is put in a reimbursement pending state. Once the deposit account is added, any reimbursement pending reports will be automatically reimbursed.
Auto Reimbursement speeds up processing of employee reimbursements by not requiring a separate, manual action to reimburse an Approved report. With Auto Reimbursement, once a report is final approved (according to the approval workflow that you’ve set in the People section of your policy), that report will automatically be reimbursed (using the default withdrawal account set in your policy). If you’d like accounting to approve reimbursements, make sure you have the email address holding the reimbursement account to be the final approver in your policy. In the case that you did not want this report to be reimbursed or you realized you made a mistake, you also have the ability to cancel the reimbursement.
As a policy admin, you can verify that your company has Auto Reimbursement enabled on your policy by going to Admin > [select policy] > Reimbursement and then making sure it's set to Enabled.
This can also be combined with our Domain Control feature strictly enforce expense policy workflows, which forces all reports along the workflow defined in the People page.
Hey, we may have mentioned it before, but we have tons of automations built into Expensify. Check out our Perfect Setup guide.
Mark as Reimbursed
If you are reimbursing a report manually, simply click the “reimburse” button and choose the manual reimbursement option. The submitter can then go into the report and confirm that they received the reimbursement by clicking the button “reimbursement received” and the status of the report will change to Reimbursed [confirmed].
Cancel Direct Deposit Reimbursement
Reimbursed a report by mistake? No worries! Any policy admin with access to the same withdrawal account can now cancel the reimbursement from within the report, up to the point at which it is withdrawn from the payment account.
To save time you can approve or mark multiple reports as reimbursed at once with bulk approve. You can't bulk reimburse via direct deposit (ACH) or PayPal, in order to reduce the likelihood of accidentally reimbursing the wrong reports.
To bulk approve:
- Review the reports you’d like to bulk approve to ensure no report violations or mistakes are left outstanding.
- On your Reports page, place check marks to the left of any reports in the ‘Processing’ state you’d like to approve.
- Click Approve to select approve and forward or final approve. (Pictured below) If there is someone else that has to also approve the report before it’s final, approve and forward it to them, or if you are the person who has the last say on all expenses mark the report with final approve.
- Once you’ve read the warning, click yes to approve the selected reports.
To bulk mark as reimbursed:
- Review the reports you’d like to bulk approve to ensure that you have in fact reimbursed the reports you’re marking.
- On your Reports page, place check marks to the left of any reports in the ‘Approved’ state you’d like to mark as reimbursed.
- Click bulk actions… to select mark as reimbursed.
- Once you’ve read the warning (pictured below), click yes to mark the selected reports as reimbursed.
Take Control of a Report
If you are waiting on someone else to approve or reimburse a report, but that person is unavailable, the policy admin or owner can click “take control” so that they can approve or reimburse the report. This can be done for any submitted report, and can only be done by a policy admin.